Europe Your Way Explores The Land of Port
Have you ever booked a package vacation before? I haven’t. It has always been me or a group of friends and I booking separate flights, hotels and figuring out what to do once we landed. That is great for a beach vacation but perhaps not the wisest decision when you are planning a vacation to a country as interesting and as varied as Portugal. For the first time, ever, I want to pre-book some tours and some excursions. Where do I start? I don’t want to take part in a pre-planned coach tour where I am one of the dozens of tourists stuck together for a week. I want flexibility and most of all I want to explore Portugal my way, with a little of this and that plus a whole lot of great adventure. I’ve chosen the Air Canada Vacations Europe Your Way travel package, flights, hotels and over 170 excursions and adventures to choose from. Porto, Portugal I am coming for you and I am ready to drink wine, eat custard tarts, cruise the Douro River and sample a whole lot of Port Wine. This is Europe my way.
Why Porto? Why not? My first adventure in continental Europe is happening thanks to Air Canada inviting me to fly on one of their newest routes, Toronto to Porto direct in about 7 hours.
Partnering with Air Canada Vacations was the next step. Going through the step by step booking process on their website I selected hotels and attractions that appealed to me. I could have booked a rental car through the same process, however, I have been hooked up with my own driver courtesy of Tourism Portugal.
The activities and itinerary set out for me are perfect. I’ll be exploring the Douro Valley, sleeping at a vineyard hotel, eating great food and last but not least a few days to explore the great town of Porto. With over 178 excursions and activities to chose from on the Air Canada Vacations website, chances are this Europe Your Way package will never be duplicated. Unless of course, you love what I’ve picked so much you follow in my footsteps.
Typically, packages booked through Air Canada Vacations to Portugal are for 7 nights with 2 travel days included. My trip is actually a 5-night itinerary with 2 travel days. Here is a snapshot of what I have planned out, with plenty of room left for random and impulsive adventures.
- Arrive in Porto, transfer and check into the hotel
- Visit Matosinhos beach and explore the town of Matosinhos
- Dinner at Os Lusíadas restaurant
- Drive to Amarante to explore the city
- Drive to Peso da Régua for lunch at Castas e Pratos restaurant
- Drive through the Douro Valley Region
- Enjoy a Douro river cruise between Régua and Pinhão
- Drive and check into Morgadio da Calçada
- Drive to Quinta da Pacheca for wine tasting, tour and lunch
- Drive to Monverde Hotel for wine tasting, tours, dinner and overnight stay
- Drive to Porto
- Walking tour of the city
- Lunch at Cantinho do Avillez
- Visit Palácio da Bolsa
- City Tram tour
- Check into Eurostars Das Artes
- Visit Casa da Música
- Vist Serralves
- Walk to Gaia across the river from Porto
- Lunch at Espaço Porto Cruz
- Port Wine tasting at tour at Taylore Fladgate Port House
- Dinner at Oficina
That is just a taste of what is in store. In the next few stories, I will share my Porto adventures from start to finish. If you can’t wait to read them then feel free to check out my Instagram Story that is all about Porto from the minute I boarded the plane until I left.